Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Me, A Boat Person?


No way, right?

I'm the type that likes to BEFRIEND people who have boats!

I'll bring the hoagies, the Meister Brau....every time. You just keep paying the slip fees and whatnot!

But now we live about 500 yards from Long Island Sound AND we have good access down there via a neighborhood beach. It's got a dock; a place to store small watercraft; a swing set; etc.

I'd be nothing short of a complete Moron to live here and not take advantage of this beautiful body of water.

So I've vowed to get either a canoe or a kayak as well as some fishing gear (but for shore fishing). I actually already have a couple of rods but am not sure they are suitable for fishing in the Sound. I grew up a freshwater fisherman so I'm ignorant in matters of saltwater.

Anyways. I'm surfing Craigslist looking for a kayak or canoe but I have no idea even what exactly I should be looking for. A 2-person kayak or a solo? What kind of material/brand? How much I should pay? Etc.

I even just read now that kayaking WAS NOT for people with bad backs. Really? Even if done with good form?

I've got some research to do so any help would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi CaptiousNut!
I was swimming on a kayak for some time few years back so I thought you might be interested in some advice :)
When it goes to kayaks there are 2 main things you wanna look at:
1. type: you've got lots of types and every one is mentioned to be good at something else and the differences arent subtele there is a huge difference between a rodeo kayak and a open sea kayak. If you want to swim on open waters with moderate wawes you should think on a open sea kayak. These type is stable and it cuts through waves like knife, besides it often has lots of cargo space. You might also think on a racing kayak for some speed padling, it has virtualy no cargo space. When it goes to number of seats the open sea is more liklely to have more than 1.
2. Materials: there are 3 main types of material wich kayaks are made of:
-plastic (heavy [not easy to carry around by hand], worse steering due to weight but very durable and easy to repair)
-fiberglass (lighter than plastic better steering and less hydrodynamic drag but not that durable and harder to repair)
-carbon fibre/kevlar (Oh yeah baby :D if you have the money i would go for that one because its durable and super lightweight compared to plastic. and looks great like a carbon fibre hood :D)
When it goes to having fun on a river its good to have something with more steering and preferebly made out of plastic.
Cheers!

Dave said...

I personally prefer canoes myself. You can put a bunch of stuff in there throw a few kids and a dog and it's no big deal. I'm in FL and mainly on lakes with it so it might be a little different then what you will be on. A good fiberglass or rolodex canoe usually goes for around 200-400 down here.
-Dave

Anonymous said...

http://www.vagabondish.com/big-fish-little-boat-extreme-kayak-shark-fishing/