Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Juicy Winner


A few years ago I was telling my wife about a restaurant business idea of mine.

The concept was simply high-end, meticulously prepared burgers in a variety of flavors.

Boy was I (sort of) pissed when I discovered that not only was this idea already actualized....but that a freakin' chain, a public company(!), had already taken my ball and run with it.

Red Robin Gourmet Burgers is the chain I'm talking about. Now they don't have much of a presence here in the Northeast so I'll bet many of y'all haven't been to one either.

We dined at one last Saturday and it was absolutely terrific. So if you have the opportunity, check it out for yourself.

It looks like the Street heard I was going to tout this ticker today....look what the stock did on Friday, up 23%!


Hah! The SEC's doing a heck of a job rooting out insider trading...

FYI, the stock is trading at a lofty 60 or 70 times earnings. And in this irrational market it's probably still a buy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They just sold off the original Red Robin store here in Seattle. It had a view of the water and University of Washington. It was always packed with students and locals. For a chain, they do make a good burger.

Anonymous said...

stone's throw away from where i live, will check it out sometime.

Used to see it everytime i go for a drive, always thought just another burger joint. (like nails stores)

Mayfield said...

The onion rings are the only reason to go to a Red Robin.

Yes, the various options to top the burger are varied and somewhat creative. However, the patty itself is perhaps the most flavorless patty I have ever encountered. This included McDonalds.

If you want a truly tasty and quality burger. Try Five Guys. Burgers are awesome as well as the great fries and free peanuts.

The Vortex Bar and Grill in Atlanta may be the best burger joint in the country. The Coronary By-pass Burger is often attempted by other burger joints, but never surpasses the original.

CaptiousNut said...

Mayfield,

Yeah I've been meaning to check out Five Guys which they do have near me (and in NYC - though I'd hate to go into Manhattan and go to a chain!).

I walked out of one on Long Island the first time I went in.

You see one of my kids is allergic to sesame (and tree nuts) and the other is allergic to peanuts....and of course both foods were all over the place!

Will try in one of these rare days when I'm flying solo.

I've never been to Atlanta except for flight layovers. Will keep that in mind though for the future. But I have to be honest with you, when I'm down south I usually am Googling for *best bbq places*.

Mayfield said...

The best BBQ is what you do yourself.

Here is a 82 pound whole hog I assisted with last year.

http://mayfieldeconclass.blogspot.com/2010/10/tailgating-auburn-v-arkansas.html

A 14 hour cook.

CaptiousNut said...

M,

How did you assist?

Via consumption?